Tips on How to Find the Best Host Travel Agency
Many agents starting up their home based travel agency have one question on their mind when looking for a host agency, “Who is the best host travel agency?” Wait, wait. Hold up. Rephrase that. Who is the best host travel agency for me? It’s key to understanding that there isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ host agency.
FINDING the Best Host Travel Agency
Sadly, finding the best host agency isn't as simple as a Google search. Finding a good fit takes a lot of work. Prepare yourself mentally that finding the best host travel agency requires research, lots of it. You’ll probably get frustrated along the way as you hit information overload, but don't worry, it's normal. Going in with a realistic perspective will save you a lot of heartache.
RESEARCHING the Best Host Travel Agency
You have now accepted finding a host agency is no walk in the park. Congrats! Being realistic is the first step. Now let’s take another step towards your goal of finding the best host travel agency and start the research.
Home based travel agents frequently ask me who I recommend as a host agency, and I rarely give an answer. This is because there are different hosts for different folks. I believe that you, the agency owner, are the best qualified to answer that question.
When you start your shopping, it's helpful to understand more about host agencies and what they offer. A quick look at our 7 Benefits of Using a Host Agency article will help you get a pulse on things.
Since you’re new to the travel host agency business, you may not think you know what you need, or even what to expect from a host, but trust me, you do. You just need a little help getting started in your brainstorm. Here are some questions to help you:
- Large or small host travel agency? Do you want the host you work with to have a smaller company feel or do you prefer working with larger companies?
- Is it important to you that your host agency be local? With the ability to do everything remotely, location doesn't play as strong of a factor as it used to. But, there are unique benefits of a local host travel agency that may be extremely important to you. Figure out how much weight location will have in your decision making process.
- What type of training do you need/expect? Do you need step-by-step directions or do you learn better if given the tools and left to explore on your own. Be honest in your assessment of what you need since training is going to be a key part of your success. The best host agency is the one that offers training to fit your learning style. We just happen to have to a comprehensive article on host agency education, travel schools, and certification programs that is a must-read if you're looking for travel agent training options.
- What marketing support do you need/expect? Your phone isn't going to ring by itself, so think about how you're going to get clients. Many hosts have strong marketing programs including direct mail pieces, websites, mobile apps for your clients, and more. Ask them what they have and what most of their new agents use.
You may also like a few of our other popular articles on marketing:
The $100 Marketing Plan - 7 marketing ideas for under $100 (A Video Lesson)
- What type of travel are you going to sell? You may want a host agency that specializes in your main niche (a Disney host agency, a cruise host agency, etc.) and surround yourself with those that share your passion. Conversely, those things may not be important to you, and you may really value a host that has knowledge about a broad range of products with strong commissions wherever you choose to book. If you're not sure on how to find a niche, we'll walk you through it.
- What is the most you’re willing to pay?
- Working out your finances and having a number in mind from the start helps keep you on target. You can always adjust the number, but not having a limit makes things harder on you. Keep in mind the savings a host offers you.
- One thing to mention; make sure your boundaries are realistic. You are investing in your future. While it would be nice if everything were free, you should expect to put out some money as you start your travel agency. I have heard people say be wary of a host agency that charges you. I say, be wary of the host agency that doesn’t charge. How are they making money and investing in their company?
- Also, remember that you're starting a business when you figure out your budget—it's more than just the cost of a host agency. While starting a home based travel agency is inexpensive compared to a most businesses, you'll be spending money on registering your name, business cards, talking with your tax advisor/lawyer about your business, marketing, etc. Make sure you're thinking big picture and taking being an entrepreneur seriously!
NARROWING DOWN the Best Host Travel Agency
Even with the reviews, how do you start to narrow your choices down with a number that large?!? Here are some pointers on how to narrow down your list:
- Read the reviews on Host Agency Reviews for your prospective host agencies.
- While you need to take some reviews with a grain of salt, it’s safe to say that peer reviews can give you insight into what you can expect. We have a host travel agency list where you can find peer reviews.
- Contact the prospective host agencies
- You'll be getting a LOT of information so make sure to download our Host Agency Search Cheat Sheet to help you keep track of important information. If you have more than a few host agencies you’re thinking of, they may start blurring together so take careful notes!
- Connecting with host agencies can't be easier! You can go directly to their profile to write them via Host Agency Reviews' Q&A feature. The beauty of this is that tons of agents will also get to learn from your question too!
- Watch our video to help find a host travel agency
You may not think you know what you want, but grab a seat and we'll walk you through how to figure it out in the video below.
CHOOSING the Best Host Travel Agency
Most important thing you can do to find the best host travel agency? Know what you want before you start looking. You may also find our starting a travel agency or choosing travel agency names articles helpful as you get your home travel business started.
And lastly, it is a big decision but it shouldn't be keeping you up at night if you're doing your due diligence. While you may think there is one best host agency for you, the reality is there are many great host agencies out there. If you do the proper research, chances are there are quite a few host agencies that you'd be very happy with!
Ready to Get Started?
I thought so. 😊 That means you're reading to sign up for our 7-Day Setup Travel Agency Challenge. Hurray!!!
Our week of daily emails will walk you through the steps you need to take before signing on with a host agency!
I've worked with thousands of people looking for the best host travel agency for their needs and hope this article has helped shed a little light on things.
If you like what you read, drop by our home based travel agent resources page for more tips and tricks!