2017 Top Ten Article Countdown on Host Agency Reviews!
Here at HAR we get pretty curious about what articles our readers gravitate toward. So we dug into our 2017 analytics to see exactly what readers found most appealing/helpful on the site in 2017!
The readers have spoken! Analytics don't lie! Drumroll, Please!The article gives you the CLIA certification lowdown—What is a CLIA number? Who accepts it? How is it different from ARC and IATA? What are the requirements? (Pssst—not to steal thunder from this article, but if you want even MORE details on a CLIA certification, check out this link here!)
This is new to our top ten this year, but it's the seed to everything readers need to know about exploring host options. Viola!:
The article points you to all the resources you need to explore host options:
- Info on finding and researching a host agency
- A cheatsheet to walk you through host search process
- How to narrow down and ultimately choose the best host agency for you
- A video on finding the perfect host agency for you
Okay, I'll be honest—this article on seller of travel licenses (SOT) is more an article of necessity rather than travel agent fun. But it poses a really important question and reveal the mysteries of whether or not your travel agency needs a travel agent license:
Even though it's not the sexiest of topics (no offense, seller of travel licenses), we try to make the topic as navigable as possible. That's why we added:
- A beauteous infographic on SOT guidelines (state by state)
- A link to Canadian regulations for travel agencies
- Updates on the ever-changing CA SOT laws.
- Different types of commissions
- A small index of terms that relate to commissions
- An idea of what a travel agent can expect (generally) when they enter the industry
The article walks you through 9 different certification options—the eligibility requirements to receive the certification, how much is costs, and what it takes to maintain the certification once you have it.
A rose by any other name may smell just as sweet, but that other name sure as heck won't have as much SEO (search engine optimization) traction when someone is looking for roses over Google. Hence, we wrote this popular article about naming your travel agency:
- A free travel agency name comparison and ranking sheet
- Steps to take to ensure that your domain is available
- A rundown on the basics of competitive intelligence
- Government and common sense considerations
The article offers a comprehensive look at travel agent salaries—starting with a bird's eye view and zooming into the nitty gritty of what different kinds of agents—home based vs. employee—stand to earn. The article will help you:
- Understand earning potential of starting your own travel agency
- Offer perspective of how your earnings fit into the industry at large
- Provide a link to ASTA's travel agent income calculator
- Walk you through business deductions you make as an agency owner
So you have an idea of how much travel agents make from our #3 article, but how does that money happen?! I'll give you a clue . . . it's not magical elves (though if you're aware of any, please do let everyone else know). The answer is here:
- A (very) brief history of airline commissions (the bread and butter of agents in the olden days)
- How leisure agents earn money vs. corporate agents.
- Earning money through planning and booking FITs
- How ginormous travel agencies make money
This is the primo most popular article on our site of all time. It's the kind of article that would win our lifetime achievement award if we had one (though I'd like to think to its lifespan will heartily outlast 2018).
- A link to our 7-Day Setup
- An infographic: Top 10 Reasons to Use a Host Agency
- An updated video on choosing the best host agency for you
- A host agency search cheatsheet
It's truly a goldmine, and will send you down the rabbit hole of possibilities when it comes to starting your own travel agency!