Social Media 101
Whether you are a newbie or an expert in the travel industry, there is one thing that remains clear to expand your business; and that is taking your business to social media.
We're here to help you develop new tactics and strategies to gain new business, retain clients, and keep your audience engaged. We'll take a deep dive into each platform and explain the advantages of taking your company to social media.
Here are a few benefits of putting your business on social media:
- Increase Brand Awareness - Whether you use your social platform for thought leadership, testimonials, company certifications, or all the above, you are increasing your brand awareness and establishing your VOICE in the social media world. Having a social profile also shows reputation and makes you and your travel agency look and feel like a tangible & trustworthy business they can reach out to. The more your name is out there on the web, the more clicks and views you get. Even if you add one profile, you are taking up more space in search engines when people google your name or travel agency.
- Connect with Prospects and Customers – Social media has evolved from being a way to communicate and keep in touch to a form of marketing for businesses of all types & sizes. Whether you're using 1, 2, or 4 different platforms, social media is FREE marketing. Use it to connect to prospects or others who otherwise would not have found you if you weren't connected on social media.
- Client Retention – Social media is also an excellent solution for client retention. Your presence gives your clients the ease of mind that you are easily accessible and available if things go awry or if they have a simple inquiry about a future vacation.
- Drive Web Traffic – No matter what social platform you use, your profile information should always link back to your website. People who stumble upon your business should always have somewhere to go after browsing your profile. This ultimately gives your website more views, and higher chances of gaining a client since that prospect are lower in the marketing funnel.
- Keep Track of Competition – By having a social platform, you can access what other travel agencies are doing on their profiles. You can see what's working for them and what isn't – from there, you can take what's working for them and spin it in your voice and brand.
There are so many platforms to reach new customers. So what are the best ones to take on for your target audience? The best way to identify which socials best suit your business is to take a look into the target market of each platform.
First, let's look into Facebook. Facebook has been around for 17 years now and has more than 2.8 billion active users monthly. With the number of monthly users on Facebook, it's become too big to ignore and not be a part of most businesses. Being on Facebook offers a broader audience that you can't reach with just a website. It provides a way for prospects and clients to view and visit your business without physically reaching out to you or visiting your location.
In addition to marketing your content here, try joining groups on Facebook! There are a variety of groups out there specifically for new or experienced travel advisors just like you! Other than these groups helping navigate your path as a travel agent, it's a great way to be involved in the community, share thoughtful content, learn from others, and (depending on the group) engage with prospects.
Facebook Tip: If you have a Facebook account for your business or are thinking about making one, make it a Facebook Business Page! There are many more CTA's, analytics and that makes running ads easier for you in the future.
Another great platform for travel advisors is Instagram. This app is applauded for its visuals, videos, and highest engagements among any other platform. Instagram has 1 billion active users and is ranked the second largest social app right behind Facebook.
In terms of business, Instagram is very business-friendly. There's an option to make your profile a business page for anyone who stumbles on your profile. — Just like Facebook, Instagram is known for helping small businesses thrive. You'll notice that most restaurants, clothing boutiques, and small businesses that have a product to offer will more than likely have an Instagram. It's the perfect platform to show your product in ACTION.
For example, in your case, Instagram would be the ideal place to showcase photos/videos from your latest trip, or it's where you highlight a trending destination.
LinkedIn is for anybody and everybody interested in taking their professional life more seriously by looking for new opportunities to grow their careers and connect with other professionals.
You can think of LinkedIn as the high-tech equivalent of going to a traditional networking event where you go and meet other professionals in person, talk a bit about what you do, and exchange business cards.
Benefits of LinkedIn:
- Social network for professionals
- Professional experience and achievements neatly organized on profile
- Grow your network and strengthen your presence
- Personal and company page
- High-caliber discussion
LinkedIn allows you to communicate with fellow travel advisors as well as reach out to potentials clients. It's a great platform if you are in corporate travel.
In conclusion, social media is an ever-evolving technology. Setting up a few days of the week to go over your platforms, strategy, and schedule will help you stay in touch with your clients. Stay focused on your goals and get started on building your social media realm!
Nexion Travel Group is proud to be different. We are proud of the way we go above and beyond to empower travel advisors of all experience levels to build their business, enhance their careers and increase their profits. Join our family, connect with peers and learn what makes us stand out. Learn more about the Nexion community at nexion.com.