THIS POSITION REQUIRES PREVIOUS GROUP TOUR/TRAVEL SALES EXPERIENCE.
NO applicants will be considered who do not have previous Travel Industry experience.
Company Profile Wild Planet Adventures has been in business for 28 years, and have been named "one of the best adventure travel companies on earth" by National Geographic Adventure. We design and operate both small group scheduled tours and private custom travel in 17 countries. We are wildlife experts. Our unique itineraries incorporate specially arranged wildlife activities, exclusive wildlife viewing opportunities, small groups, top naturalist or biologist guides, and itineraries designed to offer the best possible access to the most coveted animals of each region.
Position Summary This position reports to the founder and owner of Wild Planet Adventures, based in Marin County (just north of San Francisco). Wild Planet’s office is in the home of the owner. The person selected will assist the Owner and the Operations Manager in running and growing the business. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter with previous travel industry experience who excels in a small entrepreneurial environment, loves sales, takes initiative, is eager to learn and grow, and is passionate about the transformative power of wildlife adventure travel. After a training period, the position will likely offer the flexibility of working from home one or more days per week, depending on productivity, and the rest of the time at the Wild Planet home office.
IMPORTANT: Position requires previous international tourism sales experience, with emphasis on quickly learning a large amount of destination and itinerary details, proven sales organization skills, calculating tour costs, compiling tour quotes, and a previous track record of closing sales.
- Assist owner with traveler inquiries, leading to taking full responsibility for handling sales inquiries from initial contact through booking, including responding to sales inquiries, generating detailed quotes, and following up with potential travelers per direction from owner, all with exceptional organizational and time management.
- Organize sales priorities, with ability to stay flexible, switch between priorities and revise prospect priorities in real time
- Exceptional ability to partially memorize, organize, fingertip-access and master a large amount of destination and itinerary details (in approximately 15+ countries) and deliver specific information in pre-existing sound-bites and written bites, organized for best sales results.
- Familiarity with net rates, margins, and calculating costs to price custom itineraries and tour quotes for clients.
- Create sales content for website, e-newsletters (Constant Contact), press releases, social media, etc.
- Special projects as assigned by owner
- In coordination with Wild Planet Operations Manager, handle sales and back up duties when owner is traveling or on vacation
- Handle some minor office administration as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Excellent travel sales skills, including active listening and artful communication
- Ability to fingertip-organize, partially memorize, and passionately communicate detailed trip and wildlife knowledge on all Wild Planet itineraries, currently over 15+ countries.
- Previous travel sales experience relaying detailed (existing) sound-bites that generate excitement about destination and itinerary highlights
- VERY Detail oriented
- Exceptional ability to organize extensive sales, destination and trip details with fingertip access.
- Strong, focused time management skills, with the ability to revise priorities in real time without dropping the ball on any traveler inquiry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to translate input into compelling content
- Entrepreneurial mindset - Self-starter; willing and able to work from both home and Wild Planet home office
- Excellent organizational skills
- Prior experience in use of tour operator reservation software highly desirable
- Desire to contribute to and help grow a purpose-driven company
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Constant Contact, and familiar with tour operator reservations software process flow
- Prior experience in working with --and relating to -- affluent 50+ travelers
- Genuine passion for wildlife, and authentic wildlife travel experiences
**REQUIRED: Previous sales experience specifically working for a small group tour operator. Travel with a group tour to one or more of Wild Planet’s core destinations – Costa Rica, Borneo, Thailand, Brazil, Peru, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia is also highly desirable.
TO APPLY: Please send cover letter, resume, desired salary and most recent salary by email to Josh@WildPlanetAdventures.com. ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Additional Information: Benefits and bonus based on performance. The Ideal candidate currently resides in San Francisco Bay Area. Exceptional candidates outside the Bay Area may be considered (ONLY if prior Tourism Sales experience) but relocation expenses will be candidate’s responsibility. Full-time, at will position.