UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women Tanzania is nearing the end of implementing its Strategic Note (2017-2022) and is undergoing a process of developing its new Strategic Note. This new strategic plan will fully align with UN Women’s 2022-2025 New Global Strategic Plan, within which Coordination contributes to the achievement of the Development Results Framework.
Towards the development of a strategic note which sets out the critical role coordination plays in the achievement of results for women and girls in Tanzania, the Tanzania Country Office’s (TCO) has already invested significant resources in strengthening coordinated and coherent programming on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls across the UN system in Tanzania. This includes coordinating the implementation, monitoring and reporting of the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard; supporting the establishment and effective functioning of both the Gender Equality and Human Rights Coordination Mechanism (GE&HRCM), and the UNCT Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Network; leading the UNDAP II Outcome Group on Women’s Leadership and Political Participation and activity participating in other relevant Outcome Groups; and co-leading the development of priorities for the Enabling Environment Outcome group under the new UN Sustainable Development Corporation Framework (2022-2027 UNSDCF), the implementation of which will begins in July 2022.
Within this context, 2022 represents a transition period for UN Women in Tanzania on multiple fronts. Firstly, through the transition between the current and the new Strategic Note, and secondly contributing to the UN System wide transition between UNDAP II and the new UNSDCF. This transition brings with it significant opportunities for UN Women, to ensure the TCO can deliver on its commitments (particularly with regards to supporting coordinated joint UN GEWE efforts, including the delivery of the UNCT-SWAP Action Plan).
Reporting to the Gender and UN Coordination Specialist, the coordination consultant will provide the technical support required to ensure the TCO is able to fully delivery on its 2022 commitments to the UN system while also ensuring a smooth transition into the delivery of the new Strategic Note.
Duties And Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide coordination support to TCO priorities and commitments advancing GEWE across the UN System in Tanzania, including:
- Provide support to the monitoring and implementation of UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard and the gender marker
- Provide technical and secretarial support to the GE&HRCM and PSEA Network.
- Provide technical inputs to joint UN initiatives such trainings and capacity building initiatives and upcoming UN key calendar events and campaign such as 16days of activism against GBV
- Providing substantive inputs into country programming process and products including regular TCO progress reports, annual update of the CCA, UNDAP report and UN reports on normative frameworks
- Provide support to strategic planning and enhancing coordination across thematic areas within the Tanzania Country Office (TCO).
- Map areas of UN Women work in TCO to identify areas for enhanced collaborations and increase impact of UN Women across thematic areas
- Provide substantive inputs into the development of a coordination strategy for the TCO.
- Contribute to the development of the next TCO strategic note.
- Contribute to resource mobilisation efforts
- Support knowledge management initiatives.
- Technical support provided to Inter-agency coordination mechanisms.
- Timely and quality inputs to UN joint initiatives and reports.
- Timely and quality contributions to the TCO coordination efforts
- Knowledge management/consolidation of good practices.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of gender equity and women’s empowerment and intersectionality issues
- Strong knowledge of UN system and understanding of inter-agency coordination processes.
- Strong analytical, writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to promote and monitor inclusion of gender-specific objectives, indicators, targets, and activities in the UN agencies programme.
- Ability to provide advice and support.
Required Skills And Experience
- Masters’ Degree in Development Studies or Social Sciences, or other relevant social science field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience supporting development work with knowledge on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues.
- Previous experience with the United Nations preferably on UN inter- agency coordination
- Previous experience in GEWE accountability tool frameworks such as the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard and Gender Marker is a strong advantage
- Experience in gender mainstreaming and GEWE advocacy
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of Kiswahili is an asset
Submission Of Application
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment .
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Refer a Friend Apply Now