SUNY New Paltz Vacancy
External Posting (Professional)
Applications are invited for consideration for appointment to the following position:
Department: Travel Office
Budget Title: Staff Assistant
Local Title: Travel Coordinator
Posting Date: February 25, 2020
Duties: SUNY New Paltz is seeking a travel coordinator that will be responsible for the appropriate, reasonable and timely reimbursement of faculty, staff, student and interviewee travel expenses.
The travel coordinator will become proficient in the guidelines, policies and campus practice regarding travel reimbursement and will be expected to convey them to faculty, staff, and students so that they are well versed in the reimbursement process. They will be “the” campus resource for faculty, staff and students travelling on behalf of the SUNY New Paltz campus and will appropriately audit, calculate, and reimburse travelers in a timely fashion.
This person will work almost exclusively in an independent fashion. Attention to detail will be an important characteristic of this position. They will enlist the assistance of their supervisor as necessary.
Specific Job Duties will include:
• Audit all travel backup details required for payment for all travel expense reports in a timely and accurate way. Evaluate the report for deficiencies and correct the calculations or methodology that was used. Convey changes to travelers by email or phone and communicate as necessary to resolve any discrepancies in documentation.
• Reject and return travel expense reports that are not appropriate and/or have already been reimbursed. If already reimbursed, follow up with faculty, staff and/or management regarding reimbursement to the institution.
• Research, interpret and appropriately apply campus, SUNY, and OSC rules and regulations to domestic and international faculty/staff/student/non-employee travel. Understand the nuances associated with travel and use discretion to justify a decision that is not clearly defined in the travel guidelines.
• Audit travel card reconciliations to the Citibank travel card to verify charges are proper and paid receipts are submitted for each transaction. Ensure that travel card charges are appropriately identified and that reimbursement isn’t made for expenses that were already reimbursed with a P-card and/or other institutional funds.
• Process travel reimbursements on the SUNY financial management system in an accurate and timely fashion. Review and monitor system reports to ensure that no payments were rejected due to incomplete information or lack of funding.
• Work with campus account managers in charge of program funding exclusive of state accounts (ie: creative research awards, various UUP travel awards, SURE funds, etc). Understand the individual programs and disbursement of funds process so that they can ensure compliance with individual program requirements.
• Provide friendly and courteous customer service on the phone, in an email or with walk-ins regarding transactions, activities, regulations, and procedures; transferring calls to others as required.
• Supervise student and/or temporary clerical staff. Provide direction, review their work and evaluate as necessary. Ensure that office processes best serve the campus and that all work is processed or returned in a timely fashion.
• Associate's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or a related field
• A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information in a clear and concise format.
• Strong organizational skills and an attention to detail
• Strong accounting and information technology skills, including Microsoft Office applications
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or a related field
• Previous auditing experience is highly desirable
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Candidates will be required to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Please apply by visiting
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3675.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full NYS benefits, which are among the most comprehensive in the nation.
Recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs, New Paltz is a highly-selective public college with about 8000 students. It is located on a beautiful campus 75 miles north of New York City in a picturesque area at the foothills of the Catskill Mountains with easy access to the City and nearby cultural and recreational amenities.
New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members--students, faculty and staff. The College's commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.